Nature's Gift Permaculture
Permaculture has been established as Malawi's first permaculture training and demonstration centre on the 650 hectares Nature's Gift Farm.
Permaculture - what does it mean?
the conception of „permanent agriculture“, over the years permaculture developed in the sense of a holistic design system for creating harmonic
integrations between nature and people for mutual benefit. Permaculture can be defined as design and maintenance of sustainable urban and rural human environments which have the productivity, diversity, stability, and strength of natural ecosystems.
Permaculture operates on the ethical core values
- Earth care
- People care
- Fair share (Responsible consumption and growth, share of surplus)
- Long-term instead of short-term
- Diversity instead of uniformity
Sustainable instead of short-term efficiency
- Diversity of species (multitude of animal and plant species)
- Genetic Diversity (various breeds / cultivars for each species)
- Ecological diversity (use of existing ecosystems / biotopes)
- Cultural diversity (regard of local and regional characteristics, use of available resources)
Optimisation instead of maximisation
Collaboration instead of competition